Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Welcome Back

Alright my avid readers, let's see if I have the mental capacity to work a full time job that requires me to regularly work 10 hour days, still watch three plus hours of television, and then spend another hour writing about it. It will be tough, but I think I'm up for the challenge. Plus, I feel like television has become my middle child. My brain has been pretty actively focused on my first born -theatre- and my new baby -paying bills- lately. I think it's about time that television got its fair shot again.

Tonight marks the second season premiere of one of my favorite summer shows, Covert Affairs about a pretty young CIA operative struggling to balance her personal life with her professional one. It sounds a little contrived, and that's because it is, but it's a feel good spy show with easy-on-the-eyes female talent, and I'm a sucker for those.

Tonight also marks the third season premiere of my favorite television currently on the air, beating out such gems as Community, Happy Endings, and Raising Hope. I am, of course, talking about Jeff Eastin's nearly brilliant brain child, White Collar. This season I am determined to not let my love of the show white wash my editorials. I'll try to be more critical of poor writing decisions than I have in the past, or at least justify myself when I wax poetical about how great the show is. Hopefully, the fact that I no longer have access to a cable package with USA on it will help to stem the flow of my enthusiasm since I will not be able to watch the episodes live. My theories will now be a day late and a dollar short, so maybe I won't fall in love with them so easily. On the other hand, I'm convinced that the theories I've written about in this blog, since proven wrong by plot developments, are actually better thought out and more adequately suited to the characters and their motives than the storylines actually explored by Jeff Eastin and the writers. Maybe that's just me being narcissistic.

Either way, television this summer should be pretty good. At the very least we can rest assured knowing that it will adequately tide us over until all our favorite comedies come back next fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disagree with anything? Agree with anything? Just want to say "neat-o!" ? Well post a comment!