Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Trickery

In addition to my many other ways of categorizing shows I like to watch, I also have what I call the "queuing" method. Some shows are Live. These are shows I watch as they air, on my television screen. Other shows are Hulu queue. These tend to be NBC and ABC shows. Ones that end up on Hulu within a day or two of when they air on television. Still other shows are DVR queue. These tend to be Fox and CBS shows. Ones that I don't need to watch live, but don't really want to wait the 8 days to see them on Hulu or the network website. And then there's Netflix queue. This tends to be reserved for shows that are no longer on the air. Shows I've heard tell of but, for whatever reason, didn't catch when they were on the air. 

It's a fairly simple system, and it keeps me from having to keep track of each of the dozens of shows I watch regularly. I check every queue at least once per day, and sometimes far more often, to see what new shows have popped in for my viewing pleasure, and to watch the ones that strike my fancy. Sometimes though, I am tricked by my Hulu queue, when I suddenly realize that a show I have favorited on Hulu isn't showing up in my queue. It's even more annoying when the show used to queue up without issue.

This is exactly what has happened with Harry's Law, an NBC drama (or parody if you follow my blog. See previous posts "New Show Review: Harry's Law" and "Update: Harry's Law"). It's a show I mainly watch to see Nate Corddry, an actor who I admire from Studio 60 that also happens to play a main role on the law procedural. Apparently, Hulu does not have the rights to make Harry's Law available for viewing at this time, and so it has stopped loading the videos in my queue. So now I'm fully three episodes behind on the series and I have no way of legally watching them, since I didn't know to set my DVR to queue them up for me instead. Now I'm not sure if I should bother. 

Once again it seems Hulu's contract negotiations have cost a major broadcast network to lose viewer for one of their shows. Even worse, it was already a show in a bit of trouble with viewership, and I'm sure I'm not the only one affected by this Hulu trickery. Sorry NBC.

On an unrelated note, it was a personal challenge to myself to see how many times I could use the word "queue" in one post. 

Answer: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disagree with anything? Agree with anything? Just want to say "neat-o!" ? Well post a comment!