Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Netflix

There's a lot of people on the internet talking about Netflix right now, so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. Most people are talking about Netflix because of CEO Reed Hastings' colossal blunder separating both services of Netflix's business, the online streaming from the DVD by mail, based on an arbitrary and ancient business model. I'm not going to say anything about that though, other than what my choice of adjectives and nouns in that last sentence may or may not relay.

Instead, I want to mention that I'm late to this Netflix ball game. I never subscribed myself, didn't think I could afford it. Or rather, I didn't think that the service provided was worth the constant outgoing cash flow. It wasn't until I moved in with my current roommate, and current Netflix subscriber, that I realized just how stupid I've been.

In the past four months of living here I have watched full series runs of several old shows that I've never heard of before, or shows from my childhood that I'd nearly forgotten. Right now, as we speak, I am watching Star Trek: Enterprise a show that I used to watch with my mother as a kid. I've watched full seasons of shows currently on the air, that I'd never seen but had meant to start watching. It's kind of nice to have this library of television shows at my fingertips. Every once in a while I'll find a new show and add it to my instant queue, which is filling up fast. It's like having a fully stocked DVR waiting for me every time I come home, with new shows added fairly often. I don't know if I'll ever get through half of the stuff I want to watch.

Best part? Since I only use Netflix instant anyways, I'm not affected by the sweeping changes Netflix is making to their business model. Those of us us on this half of the divide even get to keep the name. A household name. One of perhaps 100 company names that everyone in the country knows. It's stupid to think that Netflix is going to fall apart as a company just because they have no faith in the DVD by mail half of their company and want to disassociate their brand from it, for when it goes bust in five years.

So why is everyone else complaining? I kinda feel like buying some stock in Netflix, because I don't feel like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Facebook though, now there's a company we should all be worried about...

Wait, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disagree with anything? Agree with anything? Just want to say "neat-o!" ? Well post a comment!