Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Oscars

And only ten minutes over time... not bad. Thanks to you who read along with me, and those who will try to sort through this mess later.
----------------------
Kings Speech... which means of the awards I predicted, I only got one wrong... I saw an interesting quote on Twitter earlier today that sums it up pretty well. "I've seen Civil War reenactments with less predictable winners than tonight's Academy Awards."
----------------------
And...... Best Picture goes to???
----------------------
I don't understand why people are calling this the "worst Oscars ever." There is nothing more wrong about these Academy Awards than any other year. Yes, James Franco could be a little more enthusiastic. Yes there are some awkward moments. Yes it seems to be dragging on. But let's be honest. It's an awards show. There is no way to make it into Modern Family. It just will never be that entertaining. It can't be. It isn't the same beast. I think this year was a valid effort by the Academy to try to make things a little more youthful but still pay tribute to it's history. Nice job Academy. They shouldn't stop trying to do better, but they also don't deserve the abuse I'm seeing them get on Twitter and Facebook and TV review websites.
----------------------
Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely beautiful. Just adding that comment.
----------------------
No one is surprised. - Natalie Portman wins best Actress.
----------------------
Not a fan of Hilary Swank. But I'm biased because I live in Bellingham.... if you don't get that joke, that's exactly why.
----------------------
Now that is a dress. Anne Hathaway's 27th costume change of the night.
----------------------
Gwyneth Paltrow has been proving she can sing for almost a year now. So why is it that I still cringe expecting her to fall apart every time I see her with microphone? She always gets away with it, even if she isn't perfect.
----------------------
Loving that the red glowing "Exit" signs just got featured in this song. #OscarDetailsYouDidntNotice
----------------------
I have basically stopped updating. Why? Because I'm no longer paying close enough attention to notice details. I'm getting bored Academy. Your "young/hip" awards show is losing my focus. Although the DownyJr/Law presentation was enjoyably light hearted. You'd think more people in a crowd of actors could pull off a scripted joke and make it sound natural.
----------------------
"A really sexy movie star... drink it in Hugh" - Billy Crystal makes the 87th Hugh Jackman crack of the night.
----------------------
At least he said "forgive me" before he made the political moment, and quickly moved it back to the movies. That's what we call a classy moment.
----------------------
Really? We're taking up time for an "autotune the movies" segment? The really sad part is that I'm kind of enjoying it.... Except the Twilight part. That just ruined it.
----------------------
"Who is this guy?" - What the world is thinking right now. But he's pretty funny and kinda sweet. Not bad Oscar rookie.
----------------------
Still need to see "Tangled." Also, this song has convinced me that I need to work with Zachary Levi someday. I've always loved him, but this makes him seem like he'd be fun to work with.
----------------------
So excited for this part!!! It's like the Grammy's but not ridiculous.
----------------------
Somebody actually wrote a speech. I didn't realize people did that at televised awards shows anymore. It sounded monotone, but at least it wasn't rambling. So let her finish!!!!!!!!
----------------------
If Twilight looked like that, I might actually watch it.
----------------------
Lord of the Rings to welcome Kate Blanchett. I'm interested to see where this goes. --- Ahh, make up. Of course?
----------------------
Why wasn't Daft Punk nominated for score? For the record, I want Zimmer to win. Just because I love him.
----------------------
Not sure how I feel about the business announcement during the awards show. It would be a little better if they hadn't already made that announcement a week ago. Then at least there'd be the "excitement" factor. As it was it just seemed out of place. Hurray! ABC will be showing the Oscars forever. I just can't care.
----------------------
Christian Bale winning supporting actor puts my count at 2 for 3. Also, my dad just commented: "He didn't sound like that in Batman. How did he hide his accent?" My response was "Acting."
----------------------
First Charlie Sheen joke of the night comes from James Franco in a dress. How long do you think it will be before he bashes the guy in a radio/tv/newspaper interview? But I thought it was hilarious.
----------------------
Anne Hathaway bashing Hugh Jackman in Les Miserables fashion. Priceless. Especially because it calls to mind the "I am WOLVERINE!" moment from two years ago when Hugh hosted.
----------------------
Is it unreasonable to say that the screenwriters should get as much time to speak as the actors? Seriously, Sorkin had less than half of the time that Melissa Leo had.
----------------------
How is Toy Story an adapted screen play? I know they just said it was based on the previous films but come on... We call those "sequels" not adapted screenplays.
----------------------
Yep. Toy Story takes home animated picture. Could it ever have gone any other way?
----------------------
Really? That's the best joke they could come up with for Justin? "I'm Banksy"??? The "app for that" gag was pretty decent though.
----------------------
Extra points for accidental swearing while talking about fake looking acceptance speeches. I love her a little bit right now. Not really feeling her last line though.
----------------------
Well I'm 0 for 1. Congratulations to Melissa Leo though. I guess I need to see "The Fighter"
----------------------
Kirk Douglas, stalling on reading the Supporting Actress winner is making me crack up. I feel terrible for those poor women though.
----------------------
I agree, Kirk Douglas, Anne Hathaway IS gorgeous.
----------------------
Internet pundits are saying James Franco looks stoned... I think he just looks terrified. Maybe that's just me.
----------------------
My television has been commandeered during the commercial breaks by my father who wants to watch sports. Lovely.
----------------------
Funny how Tom Hanks' speech about the triple threats gets blown right out the window right off the bat by a film winning in art direction which was not nominated for either of the other two awards.
----------------------
How do we feel about the Oscars trying to be young, fresh and hip by looking back at its age-old history?
----------------------
FOR THE WIN! A Random Back to the Future reference to end the opening host video.... LOVE IT!
----------------------
"You just got Inceptioned" - Alec Baldwin
----------------------
"I loved you in Tron" - James Franco
----------------------
Apparently it was a year of dance and fights, if the opening montage was any indication.
----------------------
What was with Tom Hanks' mockery-ridden furious hand gestures?
----------------------
If anybody cares, here's my predictions...
Best Picture - Kings Speech
Actor in a Leading Role - Colin Firth
Actress in a Leading Role - Natalie Portman
Actor in a Supporting Role - Christian Bale
Actress in a Supporting Role - Helena Bonham Carter
Animated Feature - Toy Story 3

The rest I don't really care about. I think the two supportings could go other directions, but I'm pretty sure the other four are all but locked up.
----------------------
Breaking News: Actors Happy to Be Here at the Oscars
----------------------
Alright, I've got my frozen pizza cooked and cut, the chips are laid out, the dip is mixed, and an ice cold Pepsi (think they'll pay me for product placement?) laid out beside me. I am ready for the Oscars to begin... too bad there's still a half hour left.
----------------------
OK, I know I said I wasn't going to comment on the red carpet, but I've taken a peek at both ABC's and E!'s fashion coverage, and I'm cringing every time one of these "reporters" asks a question. Also... is it the year of ugly cream colored dresses?
-------------
Live blogging the Oscars... just to see what all the fuss is about.

I'll just update this post with new information, so you can keep refreshing the page if you're actively interested, or you can just tune in after the ceremony to see all my comments out of context.

If anybody comments here during the Oscars, I'll try to address them live in the blog.

Starting at 8E/5P. I don't do all that red carpet nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disagree with anything? Agree with anything? Just want to say "neat-o!" ? Well post a comment!